JOIN OUR BOARD OF TRUSTEES

Kingsgate Workshops seeks applications to join its Board of Trustees.

Voluntary (unpaid)

Time commitment:

  • 5 meetings per year (in person or on zoom)

  • Biannual Studio-Holder Q&A

  • Ad-hoc advisory

To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to dan@kingsgateworkshops.org.uk

THE ROLE

 

Trustees work together to strategically plan the future of Kingsgate, a Kilburn-based studio provider and exhibition gallery space.  

 

The Board of Trustees:

 

  • Are responsible for making sure the charity does what it was set up to do

  • Offer support and guidance to the management team

  • Ensure accountability for financial and project delivery objectives

  • Advocate for Kingsgate, and promote the role of artists and craft makers within society.

 

ABOUT YOU

 

We’re currently recruiting for several new Trustees.

 

Desired expertise includes:

 

  • Legal

  • Finance (specifically property finance)

  • Equality, Diversity and Inclusion

  • Facilities (buildings etc) management

  • Charity/Not-for-profit governance

  • Local community members (Kilburn and surrounding areas)

  • Passion for craft, materiality and/or the visual arts

 

You don’t need to have served on a board before, but you do need to be UK-based to satisfy Charity Commission requirements and be willing to commit some time (see below) to helping Kingsgate realise its future potential.

 

 

FURTHER DETAILS

 

  • The role of Trustee is voluntary and unpaid.

  • Trustees are expected to attend 5 Board meetings per year, either in person in Kilburn or via zoom (with camera on to satisfy Charity Commission rules).

  • Board meetings are held quarterly, plus one Annual General Meeting, between 6.30pm – 8.30pm. Dates are published in advance.

  • Bi-annual Q&A sessions are hosted by the Director for studio users, and Trustees are also encouraged to attend these.

  • Trustees may be asked to offer occasional advice to the management team in line with their expertise.

 

 

ABOUT KINGSGATE

 

Kingsgate is a studio provider and independent project space in Kilburn, London. We are also a registered charity with the UK Charity Commission.

 

Our Victorian-era warehouse building houses 43 self-contained studios. We own our building (on a long lease), and will soon have fully repaid our building loan, making this an exciting time to join the board and help plan Kingsgate’s future.

 

While most studios are solo spaces, some are shared, and others host regular classes or supervised access to facilities like ceramic kilns. Each week over 100 people use Kingsgate.

 

Some studio holders have been at Kingsgate for 30+ years, while others are new graduates or emerging practitioners.

 

Around 60% of our users are makers, including jewellers, ceramicists, glass artists and furniture makers. The other 40% are painters, sculptors, printmakers and interdisciplinary artists. It’s a lively and friendly working environment where collaboration between makers is common.

 

Kingsgate studio holders have recently exhibited at:

 

  • Collect, London

  • Turner Contemporary, Margate

  • Compton Verney Museum, Warwickshire

  • Mendes Wood Gallery, São Paulo

  • Sadie Coles Gallery, London

  • British Ceramics Biennial, Stoke-on-Trent

 

Our makers have also brought joy into many homes through TV shows The Great Pottery Throwdown and All That Glitters.

 

Each year, 10% of Kingsgate’s studio income is allocated for public-facing exhibitions, events and residencies in the Kingsgate Project Space. We contribute to enriching London’s artistic landscape by creating idiosyncratic opportunities for artists at key stages in their professional development.

 

 

INTERESTED?

 

To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you would like to join Kingsgate’s board to dan@kingsgateworkshops.org.uk by close of business on Friday 5th August 2022.

 

PROCESS

 

If you have any questions about Kingsgate or the role of being a trustee before you apply, please email dan@kingsgateworkshops.org.uk.

 

We will invite new trustees to join the board following a 30 min meeting (on zoom) with the director and member of the board.